Exercise: The History of Illustration


E.H Shepard Research and Thoughts  

   For my first assignment I start by selecting a Illustrator from a list of six that interest me the most: Edward Bowden, Edward Ardizzone, Kathleen Hale, John Milton, Eric Ravilious or Earnest Howard Shepard. I personally thought this was a tough decision as they all interested me in different ways! As I looked into the Illustrators work one by one I picked them off till I made the decision on Earnest Howard Shepard.
   I then had to research information on Shepard and there was not a lot of information out there about him. I had managed to find that from the age of seven he loved to draw and he favorited drawing battle scenes which is very different compared to what he ended up drawing in the future, He developed an interest in illustrators in the 1860s and hoped to contribute to Punch. 
   Punch was an magazine that ran from 1841-2002.It was first published on July 17th, 1841. It was renowned internally for its wit and irreverence, and introduced the term 'Cartoon' as we know it today. Its political and social cartoons swayed governments and captured life in detail in the 19th and 20th centuries.   
   I picked this illustrator because of his creation of the Winnie the Pooh character and Wind in the Willows characters they remind me of when I was little and how I used to love these characters.  

E.H SHEPARD

E. H SHEPARD

   The Illustrations are detailed with fine lines making the details in the illustrations, he adds details in certain places in the pictures e.g. In the Winnie the Pooh picture the log that Winnie and Piglet are sat on and the character shading and then in Wind in the Willows he adds more detail to the picture e.g. the clothing that the characters are wearing which brings them to life and adds a personal touch to the characters themselves, the media I think he used most I think is pen and hand drawn these illustrations, with added natural and realistic colouring to the illustration bring it to life.
   I my opinion the type of illustration combined with the type of colour Shepard has used makes the illustration look retro compared to other illustrations you see today, I like how this has come across in these illustrations cause you can see the difference of an old illustration just by looking at the pictures above they give off a dated vibe. I think that even though the illustrations look dated today it has been developed over the years and Winnie the pooh is still a classic and famous cartoon/illustration.

What do you think? Does the illustration look old today compared to illustration done now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3