Exercise: Writing a Brief

Exercise1

   When I read the first exercise of assignment two I didn't know how to approach it, so I began with basics, Ill tell you what the exercise is:

' Identify a piece of work by an Illustrator of your choice who you have some connection with. Choose an Illustration that you admire from its conceptual or narrative dimension.
Try to write a brief for the Illustration, The context the Illustration is positioned, write the brief that would have lead to the creation of the image, What content should be included, Should it have text, the connection between the text and the image.'

   That is the basic summary of the exercise, I didn't have a clue what Illustrator I wanted to use so I started from the beginning basic research 101...I researched Illustrators and came across Peter Thom an Comic and Graphic Illustrator and felt a connection with his work instantly when I saw it so I decided to use one of his pieces of art, (I have done a piece of Art Work as a ' Comic Book' Style and its one of my favourite pieces) but first I did some research on Peter Thom as I wanted to Know who I was picking for my brief and what kind of overall style this Illustrator took in his work.

Peter Thom


   After I had done my page on Peter Thom I decided that I would look into how to write a design brief because I didn't know where to start, I have never come across an exercise like this and I studied Art and BTEC Graphics in collage.
   Whilst looking on some websites (which I came across on google) the main advise that I was given was to include these points in my brief:

  1. Intro - An introduction of my product that I want to sell
  2. Feelings - Want your brand to evoke
  3. Look & Feel - What aesthetic your looking for
  4. Brand Position - Target/Chanel
  5. Likes & Dislikes - What you like/ dislike in your personal opinion
  6. Style - What style you want to see in your project
  7. Needs - What you need at the end of the project
  8. Time Line - When the project should be finished
 
  Some of the links to the sites are:
   The sights gave me some really good advise and a point in the right directions to get me going on writing this brief for one of Peter Thom's pieces. So using all the hints and tips that these web pages gave me I managed to write a rough copy of my brief, I made up my company based on what Peter had put in his image and managed to make up what that brand does, I think I managed to get most of what I am looking for without describing the image that I had chosen from Peter Thom's collection of Illustrations.

Here is a look of my rough copy of my briefing don't mind the sloppy writing!



   Overall I enjoyed this exercise, I taught me how to think as a client instead of an employee, it certainly was a challenge to write a brief about somebody else's illustration and make it like its what you wanted out of the employee.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Editorial Illustration

Exercise: Giving Instructions