Exercise: Client Visuals

Client Visuals 



28/02/2018

' This exercise is to help you to edit an image to its main structural form and to practise creating a clear visual. 

From the work you have collected pick at least two finished illustrations. These illustrations should contain a range of content.

Using a form of line which feels comfortable and which you can confidently manage, create a visual for each illustration. Be aware of the main shapes and directions; draw the elements of the image with sufficient detail for them to be readable. 

Explore how many lines you need to use to describe the content. Try another version of the same image and see how much content you can remove so that the image is distilled to an extremely edited form but still makes sense. 

Find some images that make you more aware of the art direction behind them and annotate them to explain the thinking behind them in your learning log.' 



01/03/2018



  I have decided to look at Peter Thom's work again for this project as I feel drawn to his work and his cartoon style. Here is the image I have chosen to work with:


Peter Thom - Boffin Boy and the Poison Garden 



  I chose this particular illustration because it has many layers to it and it will be interesting to see the result of the very stripped down version of this illustration. I could not find the original size of this illustration so I measure how big it was on my phone which was 9x7cm so the illustration I will be drawing will be 22.5x17.5cm.   

  I must've picked the most complicated illustrations to work off. There is plenty of content in this illustration which is a plus. I drew out the illustration in full and used Charcoal for the darkest green parts which were right at the front of the illustration, I used a 6B pencil for the next darkest green. The rest of the picture I left as just pencil marks.

Illustration of
Peter Thom's - Boffin Boy and the Poison Garden 

  I then started to simplify the illustration. I found this a little difficult to do, I know what to leave in and what to take out. Below is what i ended up with:

Simplified Illustration of
Peter Thom's - Boffin Boy and the Poison Garden 
  I decided to leave in the dog shaped tree in the background i think it is inventive and imaginative and i feel it still helps towards the illustration and you can still read what the illustration is supposed to be about.


05/03/2018

  The next Illustration I chose was again one of Peter Thom's Illustrations and Its called The AOI. Again this illustration has a lot of content and i feel that i will be able to simplify this illustration and it still be able to tell the story of what its about. I could find the exact size of this illustration so I decided to measure the image that was on my phone, the measurements are 9x7cm so the illustration I will be drawing will be 22.5x17.5cm


Peter Thom - The AOI 

   Below is my illustration of Peter Thom's - The AOI.

Illustration of Peter Thom's - The AOI 
  
  If you compare the image to Peter Thom's Illustration I have purposefully left out to characters. I have done this because I don't think i need them in the illustration as the focus is mainly on the character in the centre of the illustration.

  Below are two more illustrations showing the more simplified version of Peter Thom's illustration;


Simplified Illustration
of Peter Thom's - The AOI 

  Looking at the simplified version of this piece, I feel you can tell the story of what's happening in this illustration without all the background images in it.


06/03/2018

  Looking back at both the illustrations and the simplified versions i think with the first illustration I used I could have taken out more for example the dog tree in the background. I feel looking back at it you don't need that in the background to tell a story of what you think the illustration is about.

  Looking back at Peter Thom's - The AOI I  feel that i can not take anymore out that image because its as simplified as I could get it without it not making sense to the audience or viewer.

  Unfortunately when I have tried looking into the background and the inspirations for these images I could not find any information regarding his work.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3