Exercise: Gettign the Gist


Newspaper Illustrations

   After I had finished my first illustrations using another artist style my next challenge was to look in a newspaper, magazine, blog etc. and pick an article, then I was to highlight the main words which the article was describing the story in which the article was about. When I first read this challenge I wasn't very enthusiastic about it because I tend to stay away from the news with it being so negative ... So I picked up the newspaper from the buses which is called the metro and I flicked through, I chose a news clipping about President Trump naturally because he's all over the news these days and one about Space which is a guilty pleasure of mine! 


Ear ear! Trumps very bunny Easter speech

   This article was my first pick and its about President Trump host the White House's 139th annual Easter egg roll. The article describes that Trump stood on a balcony with an Easter bunny and he seemed to have grown a giant pair of ears...well my first mental image in my head from this you could imagine is....

By Danielle Johnson







  This is the image I depicted from the clipping I have to admit it was fun to do even though I wasn't to enthusiastic about it! I think it turned out well and I honestly didn't think I would find anything in the newspapers that I would find interesting enough to draw an image for. I stuck to the Blue, Red and White  theme (apart from his obvious face and hair) and it worked well with keeping it a 'American Theme', I think it works well. 


Danger Ring of Space Junk

   This article caught my eye because I'm a bit of a nerd and I love reading and watching about Space so when I came across this after the Trump Article I couldn't help but do another Illustration.
   The article is about cleaning up space and keeping it clean as over the decades we have dumped waste into space and now its becoming somewhat of a danger and there could be fatal collisions in the future. So here is my image that I came up with about 'Catastrophic Collisions'....

By Danielle Johnson

     My Image has two satellites colliding into each other and causing disastrous effects. I kept the theme for this one Black and White because thought it would make more of an impact for this story. I am very pleased with how this turned out and I probably wouldn't change any of it.  

   So looking back at my illustrations for this challenge I think I chose both stories well and my illustrations reflect of what is the newspaper. I tried to make the pictures fun to look at and tried to keep away from the negative which is all you really get in the news, I don't think I went too serious I think I balanced the serious and fun just perfectly with both images and I had a lot of fun creating them both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3