Exercise: Spider Diagrams - Exercise: Turning Words into Pictures

Spider Diagrams and Turning Words into Pictures

   I have decided to do exercise two and three together as they are linked in how I have done my work.
   For exercise Two we had to create a Spider Diagram for each of the following words:


Seaside   Childhood   Angry   Festival

'Try to remember your own experiences of these things even if you have only experienced them through TV, Film or Photo's. Include a list of objects you associate with each word: list colours, use adjectives, textures, and subjects. Test you Spider Diagram with at least one other person - use a different colour for each person you interrogate and tick the words that were common.'


   Like the exercise said I created a separate Spider Diagram for each of the following words and I got one other person to do a Spider Diagram for each of the words too. Here are the results when I compare the two together, My Spider Diagram is on the Left and The other person I am comparing it too is on the Right:






    When comparing the two Spider Diagrams together there were a lot of words that appeared twice so I gave them a little tick next to the word, I also added the words I did not think of in Green from my other person's Spider Gram, I also looked online at other students to what they had come up with I also added these words to mine in the Red or the Pink pen.

   The word that was most difficult to work with for me was Angry, I found it hard to think of what makes me angry until I went on Social Media or going to work in the morning! It turn out that I am quite easily irritated by a lot of things around me.


Exercise Three: Turning Words into Pictures


Exercise Three is about turning words into pictures, first we had to choose a word from the list below:

Childhood   Exotic   Destruction   Kitchen  Wild   Fashion   Travel

'Use your drawing as a visual shorthand, Imagine you are moving around the scene with a camera and recording each element to create a visual checklist a catalogue of images.'

   My first instinct was to go with Wild as I love the wild and wild animals but I decided to push myself for something different and I went wit Exotic instead. So I didn't know where to begin so I decided to start with a Spider Diagram again using the skill that I had learnt in the previous Exercise, Exercise Two, See below:



   So formed all these words around Exotic and it got my imagination flowing using this kind of skill, I also put some colours next to the words cause that's what I can imagine the type of colours that the items are in Real Life, I also collected some petals and flowers and stuck them down next to the flower words to add texture.
   Next I picked some of the words I had wrote down and did a few sketches in my sketchbook using different media:




   It was challenging for me because I am a person who likes my drawings to be precise and perfect and it was difficult to let myself just draw and not worry about how my drawings looked to other people but just to get the point across, So I tried to keep the drawings basic knowing that I would want to put detail into the pictures. As you can see I still used Wild animals in my drawing and wild flowers which I enjoy drawing...

   The Spider Diagram process has opened up a new skill for me and I will use it in more exercises to come because I think for me it has been a very successful method to open up my imagination and produce more ideas for my work.
  












      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3