Exercise: Choosing Content

Choosing Content 

   For this exercise I had to read abit of passage from my folder that my university sent me. Then I had to make notes of curtain bits of the passage I had wrote here is what I wrote down:


Notes 
   It says for this exercise to pick an adjective to work with I chose 'Dark', I then has to collect reference materials for e.g. a moodboard relating to the word you chose and reference to the passage and collect materials for a moodboard. I also put into the moodboard what police officers used to look like back in the 1940's as reference to how I want the character to be. 
   Below is my moodboard on reference to the word I chose and how I see the character in the passage:


Character Moodboard 
   Before I did my material moodboard I did a spider gram to help me generate some ideas for textures and materials that I could use for this particular piece of work:

Texture and Colours Spider Gram 

   Next I did a moodboard using the type of materials that I associate with he word dark, I decided to use pencils, charcoal and I ripped an old pair of tights up. 
   See my material moodboard below: 


Material Moodboard

   After I did this type of research above I had a few ideas in my head so I jotted them down roughly into my sketchbook:


Sketchbook
     
   After I had put my ideas down on paper I wasn't so keen on featuring the furniture into this piece of work, so I decided to concentrate just on the character it describes in the passage and how I'm going to make this character come across 'Dark'.
   Below is the character process:


Police Officer 
  
   
   As you can see above I used the materials that I put into my second moodboard which are black tights to make the hat and the clothes, I decided to use magazine for the hat too to make certain parts of the hat shine like patent leather like police officers hats used to be in the 1940's. 
   Originally the picture above was my finished version but I felt that he wasn't 'Dark' enough and I hadn't yet reached my goal. I asked a friend of mine who does photography on how I could achieve this look and he sent me this reference below: 

Artist Unknown 

   After looking at this I used it as a reference for my illustration and this is what I came up with: 

Police Officer 'Dark'

   I am very happy with the result in how my illustration turned out, I think I managed to incorporate my chosen word into my work. I like the materials that I have used it give the drawing some depth and feel to it. I didn't want to add a background to this illustration as I was afraid it could have been over kill for the drawing so I left it blank and added a very this shadow around the character. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3