Exercise: An Objective Drawing - Exercise: A Subjective Drawing

An Objective Drawing 

10th August 2017

   Shoe   Umbrella   Pair of Trousers   Pair of Glasses   Hat

' Take and Item from above and exploring it visually to become aware of its textures. Using  a pencil or a fine liner do an objective drawing on an a A4 sheet. You are trying to achieve a drawing that has a high degree of visually accuracy.' 


   So this brief is pretty simple, I picked from the list above the word Shoe. So I decided to draw one of my own shoes for this briefing here it is below: 

Drawing 

   I chose to use pencil for this drawing and tried to put as much detail as I could into the drawing, I found that with the shoe being mostly black it was hard to show the detail in the main shoe but I tried to counter act that with the details in other parts of the shoes like the laces and the soles. 


A Subjective Drawing

   ' Take another object and write a list of a series of words to describe it. Choose one of the words from the list as the basis of your idea at this stage you are exploring your idea visually. Make a moodboard and include collage materials you found.' 


  

   For this exercise I chose the word Hat, and I approached this exercise by firstly doing a Spider Gram see below: 

Hat Spider Gram

    I came up with a few different words when doing this I thought it was very effective. As you can see in the picture above I highlighted the word Scary. 
   So as its nearly my favourite time of the year 'Halloween' I decided that I would have a little fun with this project and try and create a Halloween hat. First step I made a moodboard out of magazines and printed pictures. See below:

Moodboard - Scary

    When coming across the word scary on the Internet there are some funny examples of what people find scary, so I incorporated that into my moodboard. I looked at colours, Orange, Purple, Black and Reds the original colours for Halloween. Then I came across hats that had giant feathers coming out of it and used yellows, pinks and blues. 



' Using colours textures and materials identified during your exploration of the moodboard to translate the line drawing into an image which communicates the adjective which you associated with your object.'

'Using them to colour, or fill your line drawing. You are still attempting to describe the object but focusing and exaggerating the quality that you have selected to communicate.' 

   So below I have created my 'Scary' hat:

Scary Hat


   So I used for the base layer for the hat different blacks from magazines, and I put scary eyes in the middle using reference from my moodboard. I used for the second layer for the Base of the hat old black tights to add material effect to it (but you cant really tell its material from the image) I also used the tights to make a cobweb affect from the top of the hat to the base, the purple is this rope that I added to make it a little more colourful and make it relate to the 'Scary' Halloween theme. I came across some card that I had left over from Christmas so I added a shiny belt and used Tin foil for the buckle.
   I am quite pleased with the outcome of this project, I debated at first adding more to it but I think it would have overkilled the 'Scary' theme. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3