Exercise: Using Black and White

Using Black and White 


14th August 2017

Sea   Extraordinary   Building   Journey

'Through brainstorming you may decided to draw from an object or a section of objects or work in a more narrative way around a scene or idea. Ensure that the line visual you produce through visual exploration and development is clear.'

   For this exercise we had to create a drawing in Black and white from one of the words above, I chose Sea it instantly jumped out at me. 
   First I decided to do a Spider Gram of the word Sea to see what I could come up with, see below: 

Spider Gram 

   After doing this Spider Gram I decided to concentrate on Waves, I decided this because I love the photography and how they look, waves are elegant in there own way. So I started like the brief said by drawing my image onto paper with fine liner, I chose to work in A4 for this brief because its very difficult to scan A3 paper when you only have an A4 scanner. I also decided to use Photoshop for this piece as I found it much easier to deal with the small pieces.

   Below is the process I went through to get my final image:







   I really love how my image turned out I think I captured the flowing of the waves. and the main piece in the background of the giant wave! I think where I have used the white ion the wave in the background that is the bit that draws your eyes straight to it and that's what I was aiming for. Below is the piece I have used for my final piece I am very happy with it.


Sea - Waves Final Piece 



    The next part in this exercise asked me is there another illustrators work you can describe as graphic?, and I can answer yes! 
   Whilst browsing the Internet looking for an interesting illustrator (there all interesting ..I mean one I have not used yet) I came across a Fine Artist Called Kim Daehyun, his work is very interesting and you can definitely class his art as graphic, I like the flow of his work it feels different and looks different, he calls his work Moonassi .

   Below are some examples of his work and a little information about him taken from his blog:



 'I was born in 1980 in Seoul. I majored in Korean art at the College of Fine Arts, which is about learning traditional painting techniques and art history in East-Asia. I was always interested in how to harmonise East Asian art and modern life I live in. As an answer, my conclusion was to focus on me who is living in this age. So I decided to draw my feelings, my thoughts, and the things that I was worried about. I wanted to talk about ‘emotions’ that anyone could feel. It is a beginning of the series of ‘Moonassi drawing' that started in 2008.  ‘Moonaa' is my artist name. I wanted to be ‘無 Moo(which means nothing or empty) - 나 Na(which means ego or the conscious "I")’ as an empty ego that can contain anything anyone’s mind.  The characters in my drawing is an actor who plays me and your story with a gentle gesture. I depict my inner conflicts, thoughts, and various emotions I can feel in relationship. Moonassi drawing series is my lifetime project'




Bibliography

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3