Assignment 2 Feedback

Feedback Part 2 


31st December 2017

   So I took some long time out before I decided to progress with my course. I have been doing some own study drawing with includes developing my perspectives in my drawing and just observational drawings as suggested from my tutor...So after building up my skills I am ready to continue with this course, but first to update you on my feedback for Assignment 2. 
   First I will start will my overall comment from my tutor. 


Overall Comments

   'Overall your response to part two has been good, with a bit more work on your observational drawing and with further critical analysis and reworking of your initial drafts your work will continue to improve.' - Tutor Comment 


Project: The Brief

  So this project was to write a brief about a chosen illustration that I had picked. I good some really good feedback on this. Mt tutor commented on my research how I am very thorough with it which I agree, I like to have a look around and know some details about the illustrator that captures my eye and why I have chosen and like their work. 
   Next came my brief which I also go some good comments on but I could have benefited from further research into domestic product advertising this would help me with who the target audience is, my tutoring does mention that I touch on my target audience but she would have liked to see more investigation into this. I also made a mistake of not providing the image into my brief so it was abit difficult for my tutor to track it down, which was a silly mistake on my behalf.  


Project: Generating Ideas

  For this project we were asked to generate some ideas from a series of words using Spider Diagrams and reflect on my strategies. 
   I am pleased with the result I got with this project, my tutor was very pleased with the out come of this exercise so I will write her feedback below. 


  'Great results for this exercise, I see from your notes that some of the words were trickier to brainstorm than others, but that you sought input from external sources to generate ideas, and that you sought input from others in order to inform your own observations, which is great. Your use of colour coding within the spider diagrams themselves is a useful tool to keep your preparatory work organised. Great work' - Tutor Comment 



Project: Words to Pictures

  For this project I was asked to work visually and generate ideas through drawings and a moodboard. 
  Again I got some good feedback with my spider diagram that I am generating good ideas from them which is good because  might start putting into every exercise that I do. The feedback that I got for the drawings that I did was sparse and  agree I could have spent more time drawing, developing and experimenting with different types of media for it. My tutor suggested that I should conduct more drawings in exercises.
  As for the moodboards I created in this project my tutor thought they were of good quality which I am pleased about. 


Project: Using Reference

  In this project we were asked to collect as much reference material as I could find for the 1950's period, from a range of categories. Then create an illustration to give to a young person of today to give and idea of the era.
  So for this exercise I did a lot of research as I didn't know a lot about the 1950's and I wanted to get the feel for the type of things that they used to wear, use and the types of patterns that was in fashion at the time.
  The illustration that I created at the end was abit mish mashed but I wanted to include a lot into it so I tried to surround my person in the picture with 1950's objects. I wasn't too bothered in my illustration about the sizes of the objects or whether it made sense as I wanted to fit a variety of objects in it. 
  My feedback was from the tutor was positive she said I did a fantastic amount of research into the 1950's, I have taken into account the economic factors and compiling my research material and have a wealth imagery to take inspiration from.
  The illustration lacked in comparison to my research as I didn't use the huge amount of colours or patterns detailed in my work, which I didn't I could have included some of these patterns in the illustration, but the objects and fashion I used were well referenced which is a positive. Mt Tutor found that the size of the objects in my illustration were a little strange and has suggested that I work on my observation skills to further my work. I get her point of view and I have been working on my perspective as I like to draw big and don't take into consideration sizes. 


Project: Mark Making

  For this exercise I was asked to explore drawing and painting and we were encouraged to explore the creative possibilities of different papers, drawing implements and investigate mixed media, as well as undertaking objective and subjective drawings.
   I have gotten some really good feedback for this exercise my tutor says I have very engaging drawings, I have used different collage techniques as well as a use of wide range of papers. My tutor mentions my note that conducting these tests and drawings have given me further ideas and I have approached this exercise with an open mind.
  From this feedback my tutor would like to see me continue using this method and using real life for observational drawings to test my skills and to experiment with it. 
  I also got good feedback for my subjective and objective drawings, this exercise showed my tutor what I am capable of in terms of my drawing ability. She also liked that I was using moodboards to generate ideas. 


Project: Black and White

  For this exercise I was asked to follow a process to produce a simplified graphic image in Black and White. 
  I got some good feedback from this my tutor liked how I was using spider diagrams to generate ideas, however my tutor thinks I should conduct more extensive preparatory work, rather than setting on my first image that I have created, which I agree with because I am guilty with not carrying on or changing the image. My tutor believes that this will enable me to filter out the more unsuccessful illustrations and my work will improve, which I believe it will. 


Project: Choosing Content

  For this exercise I had too work with an extract of text I were asked to define, research and develop ideas to visualise the main character within the setting suggested. 
  I decided to go with a 'Dark' theme and I decided to concentrate on the person in the text, which to me as I read through it was a police officer/investigator I used different types of media for this which included cutting up tights for the hat and clothing. 
  My tutor says that my final piece is strong from a technical standpoint, I have spent time developing my illustration and documenting my progress. My tutor feels that my decision making is down to chance, rather than it being carefully thought through and researched. It concerns my tutor because when working with a client I would have to document the changes and provide evidence of this change and the thought process behind this, detailing why I have decided to change this illustration. 
  However my tutor feels that the changes I made in the illustration made an impact on my illustration and she feels the piece is much darker which is what I was aiming for. 


Project: Meanings in Imagery

  For this exercise I was asked to collect examples of visual metaphors, and was asked to create a drawn visual list of objects and subjects that could symbolise a number of words. It was suggested that you let someone else critique your work.
  I got some positive feedback from this exercise but my tutor would like me to revisit this project as my work is too literal, here's the feedback below starting with the positive. 
  Me and my tutor both agree that this was a difficult exercise I found it very challenging, however I have manage to find some good examples of visual metaphors in my research. The idea behind my illustration was fine, but it was too literal and could be punchier. Below is the not negative but constructive criticism which I highlighted in pink on my feedback sheet so when I come to revisit this exercise I can skip straight to the bit where I should concentrate on making different in my work.

'Really the composition produced is more along the lines of traditional illustration rather than visual metaphor. I think it would be worth revisiting this exercise again. Try to focus on the key words of 'Dream' and 'Romance' the same was the 'Light Beer' illustration focuses on the key words of 'Light' and 'Beer'. - Tutor Comment 


  My next step from the feedback above is to have a look at Mark Smith which was suggested off my tutor for visual metaphors work. 


  Assignment 2 Feedback

  For this assignment I was asked to respond to a point of sale display brief in which I was to illustrate fruit or vegetables associated with summer and autumn. 
  My tutor feels I have some strong points and some weak points in this assignment, and I agree. I have put a lot of time into my preparatory work and my documentation of the research is very good. In the image my tutor says that the fruit and veg in the image is the weakest point in the illustration, she feels they are out of place which I agree with I could have put them somewhere else on the illustration, and seem like and afterthought. I see how my tutor could feel this from my image but they were not an afterthought. Looking back at the Illustration I could have used stronger looking images for my fruit and veg more bright and vibrant and I could have placed them somewhere else too. 
  My tutor feels I was spending a lot of time on preparatory work and not enough time on testing ideas and developing them. 

Summary

  Taking this into consideration and the feedback I have had I need to try and balance my work as well as spend some time drawing and observing different real life objects and documenting them for personal growth and development. I am hoping that when I come to hand in my next assignment it shows that I have taken all this feedback in and changing my work ethics and spending more time developing ideas and techniques. 

  • Reflect on this feedback in my learning log 
  • Address balance between research and practical work
  • Focus on the quality of your work, can it be improved 
  • Continue to experiment and try new techniques
  • Conduct observational drawings in your sketchbook

  

  
  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3