Exercise: Visual Metaphor Revisit

Visual Metaphor 2


01st January 2018


  2018 ALREADY!

  This will be my first post wrote this year and my second posted this year! So previously I had my feedback for Assignment 2 and it was suggested this I revisit this exercise to see if I can improve the end result as my illustration was too literal.

  My first step is too have a look at suggested illustrator Mark Smith. I Feel his work is colour and clever in the ways he illustrates it across to his audience, no type is used, just shapes. I feel this maybe I could take some inspiration from this illustrator and use this in my final piece this time round.
  This project I find very difficult and I will have to think about it in a more creative and smart way...Below is the research that I have done on Mark Smith, I chosen some of the images I thought I related to and stood out to me most.


Sketchbook

  After researching Mark Smiths work, I decided to go with my tutors next advise and concentrate on the words 'Dream' and 'Romance'. I did a random search on google images for these pictures and I picked the ones that drew my attention to them the most. 


Sketchbook 

 
  Then I went on to sketch some ideas out into my sketchbook of what I thought visual metaphor for Dreaming of Romance would look like. I sought input from a friend that I work with who does photography and he came up with some ideas that I included in my sketches and I sought input from my partner, he liked the 'Minds Eye' idea the most. 


Sketchbook -  ideas 

  The ideas are a very rough sketch and I'm hoping you can make sense of what some of them are. I cannot choose which one I like best so I am going to make a mock up of a few of these ideas a seek more input from friends and family to see which they think is more relevant to the exercise. This will help me filter out the lesser good images like my tutor said and then I can develop the better images. 
  I am going to work in Photoshop with this exercise as my draw illustration was too traditional in a sense so I will go digital this time. 


03rd January 2018

  So taking my ideas from the page above I have mocked up and developed the best illustration out of all them here are the illustrations below. 




Mock up of my second idea

   So the above are a few of the same idea with different compositions. I decided to develop out of the three illustrations above the first illustration, I feel out of the three this is the strongest. 


Developed Illustration 

  I decided to improve this illustration by adding stars, moon and clouds, I feel this made the Illustration have more depth to it than be a flat image. I put two hot air balloons behind clouds to seem like they are further away. I am pleased with how this Illustration has worked out and looking back at my first attempt I am happier with this Illustration.   

  Next I picked the image with the Boy/Girl on the ladder I mocked up some images of this and wasn't to impressed with my end result. Here are the images below..




 When it came to doing this illustration I didn't have much imagination for it. Below is my finished Illustration and its lacking depth but if I was to say something positive about this Illustration its simplistic. 

Developed Illustration 


  My last Illustration I decided to mock up was the girl floating with balloons. I did one image for this then developed it further. 





Developed Illustration 

    After doing all these test images, I think I have a tie between two images. But if I have to pick one it would be the one below:

Final Piece 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3