Exercise: Viewpoint

Viewpoint 


21/02/2018

  ' Make a small collection of objects around a theme - choose from:

Festival   The Morning After   Summertime   Workshop

Using a digital camera move around your set of objects. Look at them from above and from underneath. Look for interesting combinations of shapes and textures, and document them using photographs. Experiment with diagonals within the structure and deliberately position some elements close to the frame. 

Do the same thing with drawing but work in a format that is different from your viewfinder, such as a square format, or long and thin, or an irregular rectangle. Repeat the exercise of exploring viewpoints but this time document your visual journey around the set in your sketchbook. Draw shapes to work with that are the same format as your viewfinder. You may find it helpful to draw around for your viewfinder to create a set of thumbnail shapes.

Choose your favourite design. Your favoured design should be one which is most successful in this regard.

Using a pencil, draw this design on a larger scale. Either draw from the photographs that you took or from the still life directly. This line drawing should be descriptive and readable as a visual and not a final artwork in its own right.

In your learning Log record your thoughts on the following questions:

1. Which viewpoint best fitted the word your objects illustrated? Why was this?
2. Which format best illustrated your words?
3. Did changing viewpoints make you think differently about your choice of objects and arrangement of them? '


'Line Drawing - A drawing done using only narrow lines, without blocks of shading.'



  I was stuck for choice on this project between Festival and Summertime, I think I will choose Summertime.  
  I went around the house looking for items for summer and I had a few things hidden away I used tops, shorts, swim short, bracelets, sun glasses and flip flops. I set them up on my couch and took 20 photo's using different viewpoints. Here are the photo's below:












  I printed all my photo's (in thumbnail size) that I took of my pile of items and stuck them into my sketchbook. 


Sketchbook - Photo's 

    Next I picked my six favourite photo's that I had taken and drew thumbnails of them;

Sketchbook - Thumbnail Drawings 

28/02/2018

  My favourite thumbnail was the first one that I had drawn, I printed this out on A4 paper and made a shape onto it that I wanted to develop in A3 size. 

Sketchbook - Chosen Photo
 
Below is my A3 size Line Drawing of the photo above:




Sketchbook - A3 Line Drawing Finished  
 
  I like how my Line Drawing turned out, I would have liked to be able to progress the drawing further and maybe put some shading into it. I would have liked to see how it would have turned out with some colour into it as well. Overall I am happy with how my Line Drawing has turned out I think that my scale has improved which I was struggling with. 


  •   Which viewpoint best fitted the word your objects illustrated? why was this? 
   I feel that the best viewpoint for my chosen word (which was Summertime) was straight on view. I think because I feel I managed to get my point across better this way, it fit most of my objects in and I could focus on a certain object if I wanted to.  

  • Which format best illustrated your word? 
   I feel that my chosen photo best illustrated 'Summertime'. I think that sun glasses can mostly be related to summer and whenever they come on sale or the sun is out you see people mostly buying or wearing sun glasses. 

  • Did changing viewpoints make you think differently about your choice of objects and arrangement of them?
  To get the photo I wanted I definitely had to move around some of the objects that I had used and not just move my camera to different positions, although changing viewpoints did not make me think twice about the objects that I had chosen I was quite pleased with my choices in objects and I think in the end it turned out quite well.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3