Exercise: A Menu Card

A Menu Card 


16/06/2018

  ' For this exercise you are asked to provide an illustration for use on the menu of a sophisticated, quality fish restaurant, the restaurant is modern, bright and contemporary in design. Any food depicted needs to be visually appetising.

Although the image will be used at a small size on the actual menu, if it is successful the restaurant would be interested in also using the image as a logo on their stationary and vans. 

You will probably want to work on the artwork at a large scale but you need to provide an example reduced to 40mmx40mm as it will initially be used.' 




  I began with making two moodboards. The first moodboard is google searched of contemporary restaurant logo's, The second is a google search on fish logo's:

Contemporary Restaurant Moodboard 

Fish Restaurant Moodboard

  I couldn't find a lot of existing fish restaurant logo's on just google search so I took some inspiration from what I had already found. I did some sketches of some quick ideas that came to my head and colour schemes:

Sketchbook Ideas_01

  I decided that from these sketch's I liked best Idea_03 and Idea_4, I took these separately and quickly added and tested colours with both these ideas: 

Idea_03 - Colour Schemes

Idea_04 - Colour Schemes 

  I feel both these ideas have some strong elements, I feel that idea_03 could be a really strong logo but I feel looking at it that the Ying and Yang Idea has been use too many time just in general and I didn't want my restaurant idea to become another generic idea. 
  Idea_04 is strong in different ways I gave the fish a contemporary design and an element of mosaic style without overdoing it. I test different colours and I think Turquoise into blue or green would look best on this logo.

  Idea-04 is the Idea I am going to take forward because I feel It could have a lot of potential to develop the idea further. 


18/06/2018

  I did The final logo in photoshop and here is the final result:

Restaurant Logo Final



   I am pleased with the final result I feel its eye-catching and would do well when advertised or put onto a menu. I feel its not over done or too literal. Its one flowing line and you can tell what the shape is supposed to be. I feel its contemporary but at the same time modern and bright what the restaurant asked for.

  I went ahead and quickly put this logo on two different styles of menus here are the results:

Menu_01

Menu_02 


  I feel that my logo works well on the second menu. It stands out it work well with blues, turquoise's and greens. The menu itself I feel is very modern and a clean design. 

40mm x 40mm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3