Exercise: Visual Distortion

Visual Distortion 

23/07/2018


' This exercise is designed to push you through a deliberate process of stylisation.

Begin by drawing a cat or dog. Use reference from a source - life, photos or images from the internet. Draw the animal in a way that makes it 'real'. 

Do a second drawing using no more than five lines. These lines can join up with each other and overlap or can be less connected; they can be straight or fluid. 

Now make a collage from bits cut from a magazine and printouts. Let the texture of a tree be the fur for example. Have fun introducing surreal elements. Deliberately distort. How far can you bend reality?

Produce a drawn version (not a tracing) of your collage. When drawing, edit and select from the collage being aware of the properties you want to create a strong character. Review the distorted version and decided how you can refine the image. 

This can now be incorporated into a bigger image. Use your imagination and introduce at least one other element that introduces a narrative. Be creative but consistent in the development and rendering of this additional content.' 



  I went through my phone and decided to use this picture of my cat called Arlo:


Arlo

  After deciding on the photo I wanted to use of my cat, I then did a drawing of him:

Drawing of Arlo
  
  Next we were asked to do a Line drawing of our chosen animal, using no more than 5 lines:

5 Lined Drawing 

  Then we were asked to distort as much as we can for example using bark for fur etc:

Collage 

  I took my distortion of Arlo to the next level and made him into a cross bread animal/human. I used bits from magazines and newspapers to create the whole image. 

  My first Idea was only to make Arlo's eyes bigger and his ears, but as I was looking through the magazines I decided to go full on crazy with this. 

  Next we had to draw our collage, edit it. Here is what I ended up with:

Final Image 

  So this is what I ended up with. I edited the nose out. I decided to make Arlo into a model modelling the cat walk in crazy (awful) fashion I would describe it as abit out there Lady Gaga-ish.

  I feel that it works well and I definitely distorted Arlo and created a new character. It is colourful and far fetched and I am happy with the results. I still feel that I have not yet found a style for myself.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3