Exercise: Text and Image

Text and Image 



18/03/2019


' Begin by taking each pair of words from the list below and write them in your own hand writing.

Big Small    Fat Thin    Fast Slow    Fun Boring    Calm Mad 

Now write each pair of opposites in a way that is descriptive. Write the words both in upper case and lower case. 

Turning on your software, scroll through the fonts and select one that suits your word. Reflect the qualities you were seeking to express when hand-drawing the word. Note whether its serif or sans serif. It may help to type the word several times in different fonts and make a direct comparison between them. 

Print of the words in the typefaces you've selected in a size that reflects the meaning of each word. 

Trace the typeface in pencil using the colour that best communicates its meaning. 

Use a moodboard to explore other media qualities which communicate the meaning of your word. 

Draw your typed words freehand using a pencil and then render them using materials, media and colour appropriate to their meaning.' 


  I started with writing out the list in my own hand writing on how I thought the words should look.

Sketchbook - Text 
  This is how I thought the words would look to me written out in my own hand writing.

  Then I opened photoshop and went through all the type and selected the ones appropriate to the words.

   I think the type I pick best describe the word. I couldn't really find anything I felt matched Calm/Mad I went through the types one by one and didn't really find anything that actually said calm to me or mad.

  I then got some coloured pencils and drew out the words in the colours I thought described them.

Sketchbook - Coloured Pencil 
  It said to use tracing paper or to trace them but unfortunately I had non and I had to do it free hand and it looks okay not as accurate as tracing but I feel you can tell the text I had picked to use.

  I felt it wasn't easy picking the colours that I felt described the word especially 'thin' and 'calm'.

  Next I was asked to do moodboards for all the words:




Moodboards 

  Then I started transforming the words with the colours and how I interpret them using different media:

Media Words 
  I used Pastels for the word fast. Pen for slow I found it a little hard to interpret this word so I used red from the stop sign. I used different types of card for the fun word. Sharpie pens for boring. Highlighters for the word big. Green pen for the word small. Red pen to make the scratchy looking mad word. Acrylic paint for calm. Pastels for the word fat and drawing pens for the word thin.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise: Packaging

Exercise: Giving Instructions

Exercise: History of Illustration Part 3